Sunday, May 22, 2016

5/23/2016 - A Little Education

Our Journey is the bold red line. We will start walking in Roncevalles.

I thought today would be a good day to add general information about our trip and answer some basic questions. We are flying into Paris where we will spend the night before journeying by train to St Jean Pied de Port on the French side of the Pyrenees Mountains. We will spend the night there, pick up our pilgrimage "passports" before crossing the Pyrenees and heading into Roncesvalles. Once we are in Roncevalles, we will begin the walking portion of our trip. Our plan is to walk 33 days--one day for every year of Jesus' life--with 4-5 "Sabbath" days built in.

What are you packing?

We are each carrying an ultra-lite backpack that weighs about a pound. We plan to stay in hotels along the way, so we aren't packing sleeping bags, tents, food prep gear. 

Basically, we travel with our suitcases on our backs. Personally, I've packed one tank top, two short sleeve shirts, one light weight long sleeve (for cold mornings) and a hooded, long-sleeve running shirt, one pair of light weight hiking pants that zip into shorts, a pair of hiking shorts, a pair of capri length leggings, and a dress. All of these clothes are wicking and quick drying. A friend suggested the dress. The plan is to get into our hotel in mid-afternoon, wash out the clothes we are wearing and let them start drying and change into the dress for comfort. I've got a pair of Keen hiking boots and a comfortable pair of Clark flip-flop type sandals (that can get wet in case I need them for shower shoes). Basic undergarments hardly need mentioning. :) I have a Tilly hat to keep the sun off my face and neck and some light weight walking sticks. My "ditty bag" is seriously small--a comb, ponytail holders, deodorant, moisturizer with sunscreen, and I'm still debating about hairspray. My one indulgence in this area is a battery powered toothbrush. Added weight that I decided I must have. I just don't think my teeth will feel clean with a manual toothbrush...I know...1st world problems!

I've loaded lots of songs on my phone, which will basically become an ipod/camera on this trip. And, I'm planning to download a copy of the Daniel Plan so I can read along with the congregation when I get the chance. I've got a guide book that was recommended by a friend who walked the Camino several years ago, a small notebook for sketching (if I'm brave and/or REALLY bored) and journalling when I can't get to a computer.
I've also got two small pillows that I'll stuff into the backpack along with a sleep sack. Again, for comfort (and fear of bedbugs). I sleep with a pillow between my knees to help my back. I've done this since before the girls were born, and I think I'll sleep more comfortably there with my little pillow. (More info than you wanted?)
I'll have a pack of hygiene items, meds, blister prevention/treatment, etc., sunglasses, and charger. And I think that's about it.

The goal is to travel lightly. To reduce to the basic necessities. To simplify and live simply.

What are the available accommodations?

Well, our goal is to call ahead each day to make hotel reservations. We have our first 3 nights planned out, and will go from there. Along the path, there are hostels and hotels where we can stay. Our guide books list phone numbers for the hotels, so we should be fine.

Best laid plans often go awry, but right now, we see ourselves heading out around 6 in the morning. Our basic agreement is that we will walk in silence for the first few hours. We will stop along the way at cafes for coffee, snacks, lunch, etc, probably arriving at the hotel by mid-afternoon. Then we have time to socialize, enjoy dinner, get everything set up for the next day's journey. Spain still closes up shop for siesta from around 2-4 each afternoon, so that will be something to get used to...and enjoy.

What's the weather like?

 Well, we'll know for sure in about a week. But we are anticipating lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s & 80s, rising as the summer goes.

What will you eat?

Now, there's the great mystery! Having never been to Spain, I haven't a clue what we will be eating. But I'm pretty sure I'll find something that will do the trick. I'll report more on that, hopefully with pictures, as we journey.

What else?

We look forward to taking side journeys to view items of interest, getting to know people along the trail, and enjoying life in the moment. We want to work on "being spontaneous." :)



3 comments: