Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Good Sabbath! (6/07/2016)

Camino Day 7: Sabbath

When Eric decided to apply for the Lilly Grant and we began to make plans for this Sabbatical, we knew the theme was going to be about “Sabbath”. What does it mean to rest on the Sabbath? Do we still need a Sabbath? Why? And what does it look like?

So, as we laid our plans for the Camino, we built in about 4-5 Sabbath rest days. We wanted to intentionally stop and rest and see what it would feel like. What could we learn that we could bring back to our daily lives?

Will I always feel "sluggish" on the Sabbath?


Eric read several books and compiled a set of devotions for us to ponder along our journey that speak about Sabbath. We read a snippet each day, which gives us something to focus on and a conversation starter that we can take advantage of. I’ve enjoyed the readings and being able to roll them around in my head.

Is the Sabbath a chance to enjoy God' creation?



One of the readings that particularly got my attention was the idea that we shouldn’t “create” on the Sabbath. Just like God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh, we should toil, develop, create and do for six days and relax on the seventh. A fine idea! 

Not so great in practice…at least for me. Just what am I supposed to do on that seventh day if there is no creating involved? We are already not cooking. I cheated and did laundry because I wanted to take advantage of an actual washing machine. I tried for a while NOT to write this blog…obviously I failed…


I am not good at BEING! And, I think the only thing that forced us to really laze about was Rachel’s foot. We realize that she needs to be off of it and it needs to be elevated. Plus, our loft is on the 5th floor (technically the 4th because Europeans start with the ground floor as zero, but when we climb those 80+ stairs, it really IS the 5th floor, believe me!). So, we don’t take the stairs lightly. :)

Or is it slowing down and spending time with loved ones?
So here I am wondering what I’ve learned about Sabbath. I’m not sure yet. I’ll let you know when I find out. I know I’ve got lots of miles ahead of me to ponder the idea. I’ve got several more Sabbath rest days to practice with. And I’ve got more devotions to read and think about.


Buen Camino!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sue and "Sabbath Resters". What a thoughtful post. I don't think it would be easy for me to completely rest either. In fact, going from 60+ a week Faculty position to retired only worked for awhile. I've cleaned, painted, sewed and slept in about as much as possible so am back to work in a part time job (which is great and for which I'm pretty sure David is saying " thank you, thank you ").
    I guess it is a process of " being still". The action of walking has to be a part of it. Just putting your boots on and clicking off the Ks is so different from all the pots you were juggling in DePere. So, already you are "stilling" your interactions to just a few.
    Be well, be rested and prayers coming your way continuously.
    Blessings
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sue and "Sabbath Resters". What a thoughtful post. I don't think it would be easy for me to completely rest either. In fact, going from 60+ a week Faculty position to retired only worked for awhile. I've cleaned, painted, sewed and slept in about as much as possible so am back to work in a part time job (which is great and for which I'm pretty sure David is saying " thank you, thank you ").
    I guess it is a process of " being still". The action of walking has to be a part of it. Just putting your boots on and clicking off the Ks is so different from all the pots you were juggling in DePere. So, already you are "stilling" your interactions to just a few.
    Be well, be rested and prayers coming your way continuously.
    Blessings
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughtful post. We are praying that Rachel's feet will heal and taking a day to recoup is a very good plan. The Sabbath is a perfect day to rest and pray. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Love and blessings, Peggy and John

    ReplyDelete