Monday, June 6, 2016

The Camino Provides (6/06/2016)

Day 6: NOT A Walking Day

My friend, Michelle, who walked the Camino a few years ago, reminded me just before we left for Spain that the Camino provides everything we need for our journey.

And, in the weeks leading up to the Camino, I was working my way through a book called The Art of Pilgrimage—which offered some insights on pilgrimage, in general. One of the quotes from that book that I brought along with me was a challenge to “try to see yourself as a peripatetic artist whose job it is to capture in art, music or story the essential secret of the day.” Some days, that’s a challenge. 

We are early in our journey and still trying to find our “legs”, our rhythm, our pace. But most days, I’ve found some sort of nugget or morsel that has nestled in my brain. Something I’ve wanted to put in my blog as a musing to look back upon and think about and remember.



I think since the end of day 2, I’ve watched Rachel struggle and press on, hurt and press on, make adjustments and press on. I have both admired her determination and sighed in frustration at her stubbornness. It wasn’t until day 3 (I think) that I finally got her to accept walking sticks! She still doesn’t like them and would prefer not to have them, but she at least admits their benefit—especially when trying to navigate downhill in sandals on feet with blisters and a possible stress fracture.

Yesterday, the Camino gave us HEAT…but also quite a lot of flat terrain and wide walking paths made of crushed stone. So, blessing and curse. :) I’m not sure I found the secret of yesterday, except perhaps the importance of listening to my body. I’ve discovered that there is a difficult balance between mind over matter/forcing yourself onward despite the discomfort and trying to listen to what your body is saying.

I have never worn a backpack like we carry on the Camino. So I’m not familiar with the way it should fit and what adjustments need to be made when different aches and pains arise. For the past two days, I’ve struggled with pain in my shoulders. I’ve lowered my backpack to make it sit snuggly on the hips, just above my bum. I’ve tried tightening that lower belt to try to carry most of the weight on the hips. But, in the mornings I can generally get about 2 hours of walking done before my shoulders begin to ache. I’ve tried adjusting the shoulder straps and the strap across my breast bone. But once the tightening starts in my shoulders (sometimes my right; sometimes my left), it just gets worse and worse until I have to stop and remove the pack. I’ve noticed for years that my left shoulder pulls forward, so I don’t know if the pain is from the backpack forcing better posture upon me. And, I also wonder if it is just my body adjusting to the weight and it will get better as the days go by. But I know that as the afternoon wears on and the miles stack, I can stand the pack for less and less time before it must be removed for a few minutes. So, I listen and try to respond, and I question and adjust.

Today (6/06), the Camino gave us a bus trip. :) We were already planning for a rest day in Logrono, and since Rachel’s foot was quite swollen last night and the journey into Logrono was going to be extra long (about 18 miles, I think), we decided it would be wise to take the bus. This gives us today and tomorrow to rest and be still. 

Rachel hanging out the window to get a street view.
We have a lovely 4th floor apartment to stretch out in. Down below is the cafe/tapas area of town where we can pop down and grab a bite. We will spend some time listening to our bodies, slowing down a bit, and gathering strength for the journey ahead. And on Wednesday, we will decide if we take a bus into Najera or if some or all of us walk again on this day. It is worth considering because it is another longer walking day.

Looking from the loft on the kitchen area of our apartment.


And I wonder, for me will the days of rest be a chance to gain strength or will I lose ground in learning my pace and settling into a routine. What will the Camino provide ahead? Not a clue! But I am confident that we will learn more about ourselves, our journeys and what lessons we can bring back from The Way that will benefit us in the long run.

Blessings,

Sue

3 comments:

  1. I am so enjoying your blog! I am in no way envious of you though. As I read your entries my feet and shoulders begin to ache because through your words I almost feel as though I am there too. So very proud of you, Fr. Eric and Rachel! You are all stronger than you give yourselves credit for! Praying for you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great plan to relax and ride the bus. You all really need some healing time to continue your journey. Our thoughts and prayers are with you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally able to settle in from work and follow you on this journey. As an old Moore daughter, the shoulders are bothering me too. Discovered I'm going to have to purposefully stretch my neck and rotate my shoulders regularly to make the muscles relax - that, and a nightly husband-provided massage.

    Anyway, put one arm behind your back. Then take the other hand and GENTLY pull your head toward the shoulder - goal of ear to shoulder. Hold it for a few seconds. Then do the other side. Dr. Hammon recently showed me that and it helps some.

    Enjoying your posts, Sis!!!!

    ReplyDelete